A door could be closed by the devil that he does not want us to go through and we need to push open through perseverance. But, it would be frustrating and even disobedient to try and push open a door that God has closed.
The Bible records a time that God closes a door of ministry to the apostle Paul.
Acts 16:7 When they came to the border of Mysia, they tried to enter Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus would not allow them to.
Paul also wrote of a time he knew that God opened a door.
1 Corinthians 16:8-9 But I will stay on at Ephesus until Pentecost, 9 because a great door for effective work has opened to me, and there are many who oppose me.
I have shared in a previous blog the five ways that God guides us taken from the ALPHA course.
The same five can help us answer the following question:
How can a person know if it is God that has opened or closed a door?
1. Scripture – it agrees with the Bible
2. Spirit – The Holy Spirit speaks to you in prayer and through your thoughts
3. Sense – It does not conflict with common sense
4. Saints – other Christians confirm
5. Signs – there are circumstantial signs that indicate the door is closed or open
What have you found helpful determining if a door is open or closed by God?