Many people begin to read the Bible in January with the goal of reading through the entire Bible in a year. Most never make it. The goal is worthy. One of the most effective ways of growing deeper in a relationship with Jesus Christ is through daily Bible reading and daily prayer.
Following these 5 tips have helped me read through the bible each year for more than two decades:
1. Choose a version that works for you. Each year, I choose a different version that gives me a different perspective and keeps it fresh each year.
2. Choose a time and place to read each day. A cup of coffee and a quiet chair, an audio bible in your car or ear buds can fill you with scripture in your home, office, while commuting or working out.
3. Choose to ask the Holy Spirit to make your reading each day a lamp to your feet and light to your path – giving you clarity throughout your day.
4. Choose a pen, pencil or highlighter to journal, underline, or make notes about insights the Holy Spirit is showing. Write down questions that arise so you can ask others about it and do some searching later.
5. Choose to jump back in if life takes a turn and you miss a day, a week, or more. Do not try to make up lost ground; just jump back in and read the passages for that day.
Free online read through the Bible helps:
Romans 15:4 For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.